1700 7th Avenue, Suite 2100, Seattle, Washington 98101
The Best in Traffic, DUI and Criminal Defense
Available 24/7 For a FREE Consultation (206) 729-3477

Traffic Tickets-You Can Protect Your Record and Insurance Rates

Posted Friday, August 24, 2018 by Andrew Charles Huff

It’s never a pleasant experience driving along and suddenly seeing those flashing lights in your rearview mirror. Many people look at their speedometer and realize either they were indeed over the speed limit or that they that were not speeding. Whether it’s a speeding violation, improper turn, HOV violation or any other traffic ticket, you can keep these off your driving record and protect your insurance rates.

WAC 308.104.160 designates specific tickets as either “moving” or “non-moving” violations. A “moving” violation generally occurs whenever a traffic law is violated by a vehicle in motion. Some examples of moving violations are speeding, running a stop sign or red light or failing to signal. A “non-moving” violation by contrast is usually related to parking or faulty equipment, among other things. Typically, “moving” violations affect a person’s insurance and driving privilege, whereas non-moving violations typically have no such effect.

If you do see those flashing lights in your mirror, pull over immediately and have your license, registration and insurance ready for the officer. Be polite but speak as little as possible as any statements can be reflected in his or her report. Also, remember that most officers won’t accept the “everyone else was speeding too” explanation as, while understandable is not a defense and is actually an admission.

If you are given a ticket, check the “Contested Hearing” box and mail it back to the court within 15 days after making a copy of the front of the ticket.

A “Contested Hearing” will then be scheduled and if you retain me, you do not have to appear in court, as I can appear for you. The high majority of the time, I will be able to keep the ticket off your record either with a straight dismissal, which is preferred obviously or an amendment to a “non-moving” violation that won’t appear on your record.

Call me directly at 206-729-3477 and let’s discuss your case.